9: More on DisCO.coop
To close DisCO Basics, we offer this regularly-updated list of DisCO links itemized by resource type (shorter and longer articles, interviews, videos, visual materials, etc). The list is also mirrored in the DisCO Ball Wiki under List of DisCO Resources.
DisCO intro articles and short videos
For a brief introduction to DisCOs we recommend these introductory articles and their related videos:
"DisCO is a living, evolving framework to reignite the power of the commons in each of us. It begins with a reckoning, a re-defining of mental, spiritual and physical spaces to re-situate our relationships to each other and the earth, to choose how we want to spend our productive energy and creativity, and, building on these acts, finally create radically different notions of value in order to restore equity and power in an atmosphere of deliberate accountability.".
"DisCO stands for Distributed Cooperative Organizations, and it’s a set of organizational tools and practices for groups of people who want to work together in a cooperative, commons-oriented, and feminist economic form. DisCO is also an alternative to another form called the Decentralized Autonomous Organizations, or DAO".
"Distributed Cooperative Organizations or DisCOs explained in a nutshell and what they mean in the context of the Covid-19 crisis."
"A guide to how DisCO governance specifically articulates the 7 DisCO Principles and Eleven Values. Includes infographic illustrations about the DisCO Governance and economic model"
"In a world of vectorial succubi worse than capitalism, where a badly scripted Bond supervillain with a phallic rocket fixation welcomes fascists to networks which ought to be commons based and peer produced, where 80-hour work weeks and bunking in the office are the new normal… who wouldn’t want to “quiet quit” or just flat-out quit and move on? We have to rebel, we have to dance and, as much as we’re able, also rest, gather and conserve strength."
Double click on player to see video full screen
DisCO Governance Model Infographic
The DisCO Governance Infographic features a simplified visual explanation of the Basic DisCO Governance Model.
The DisCO Trilogy
The DisCO Trilogy comprises three downloadable multi-format publications covering various aspects of DisCO. Also to be published as Audiobooks (see section below)
If I Only Had a Heart: The DisCO Manifesto
The DisCO Manifesto is a deep dive into the world of Distributed Cooperative Organizations. Over its 80 colorful pages, you will read about how DisCOs are a P2P/Commons, cooperative and Feminist Economic alternative to Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (or DAOs). The DisCO Manifesto also includes some background on topics like blockchain, AI, the commons, feminism, cooperatives, cyberpunk, and more.
Groove is in the Heart: The DisCO Elements
The DisCO Elements is a compilation of several articles on DisCO, including dedicated sections on DisCO in our current historical and Pandemic context, the Seven Principles, DisCO Governance, DisCO Carework and DisCO policies. The DisCO Elements is a "director's cut", expanded from a publication commissioned by Autonomy.work. You can also find the DisCO Elements serialized as standalone articles in Hackernoon.
Stop! In The Name Of Love (Before You Break Our Heart): The DisCO Pink Paper
(Forthcoming 2024) The year is 2023, the time is now. The DisCO Pink Paper completes the DisCO Trilogy by taking an open-eyed look at the artificially intelligent 2020s. This is a time where cyberpunk corporate dystopias a la Blade Runner, Snow Crash or Akira are surpassed in their excess only by the cyber-physically gluttonous, world-destroying algorhythms bent on enclosure. Everything must be turned to ones and zeros so the numbers can make more numbers. The time for Revolution is nigh and the push forward is powered by knowing what power is, where power resides, and how the world’s disenfranchised do have the social and technological resources available to turn the plot around. Oil, money and guns only go so far, so stop! In the name of love, before you break our (collective) hearts. And minds, and spirits, and backs. Just stop.
Other DisCO Links and Resources
Your main resources for all things DisCO is our website DisCO.coop and this wiki.
For a regularly updated compilation of all resources on DisCO that have been published up to date, see the lists of links below (note that some of these have already been presented in this first section)
DisCO Official Publications
- Platforming Equality: Care Before Code Care (Chapter on DisCO from Autonomy.work's booklet)
- Deliberate Dancing: A Critical Investigation of DisCOs’ Potential to Re-Politicize the Economy (Master's thesis on DisCO)
- How to Account for the Future of Work: Automation, Blockchain, and the Knowledge Economy on Hackernoon
- Last Night A Distributed Cooperative Organization Saved My Life: A brief introduction to DisCOs on Hackernoon
- Tales of a DisCO Straight from the Dance Floor for Grassroots Economic Organizing. (Practical experiences of Guerrilla Translation as a DisCO)
- Anoche una organización cooperativa distribuida me salvó la vida: una breve introducción a las DisCO. Introductory article in Spanish for alternative digital newspaper El Salto
Videos and Public Presentations
- The DisCO Mothership has landed: Feminist, Cooperative, Commons & Blockchains|The DisCO Mothership has landed: Feminist, Cooperative, Commons & Blockchains(1 minute video trailer)
- Groove is in the Heart: The DisCO Elements( 1 minute video trailer for DisCo elements)
- Feminista, cooperativista, distribuido y orientado al procomún: bienvenidas a DisCO (1 minute video trailer in Spanish)
- Take back the App! (Episode of the Laura Flanders Show featuring DisCOs, Platform Coops and more…)
- DisCOs Dancing Together: Value Flows and Future Economies: (25 mins presentation by Eli Sterling. Full version and more resources here)
- DisCO.coop – The Future of Distributed Work | Radical Practice Conference 2020/21 by Ann Marie Utratel
- OPEN:2020 DisCO Webinar recording (April 2020)
- Rage Against the Machine and Science Friction: a video introduction to DisCOs (45 min presentation and audio/podcast version).
- Tech for Society #13: Rights to the blockchain city #2 a livecast episode by Pakhuis de Zwijger on the possibilities of blockchains if they were designed to support alternative economic models, with DisCO.coop among the participants.
- MoneyLab Berlin #11. (This is the whole encounter, the DisCO part begins at 1:27:00)
- DWeb Meetup: March 2021 (The "meet DisCO" part begins around 0:59:00)
- Emergent Practices from the Decentralized Cooperative Web - March 12, 2021
- DisCO at Platform Co-ops Now! course, presentation on the origins of DisCO, its main features and roadmap for the near future. It is followed by a Q&A with the DisCO Crew.
- Get DisCO! Ann Marie Utratel and Stacco Troncoso at the Metagov Seminar
DisCO in Social Media
Follow us all around!
You can support DisCO by donating through our Open Collective Page.